Saturday 12 April 2008

The Gallery

For this introductory post, I thought I'd explain what I hope this blog will be, as well as my reasons for creating it.

I think it's easy to forget the sheer depth of films that are produced each year. Usually in the course of a particular twelve months, we only get a chance to see the blockbusters and the films that are big at the box office. Over the following years, we take the opportunity to see the films that we missed the first time around, either on DVD or on TV. Some films don't even get seen at this stage and disappear, forgotten, in to the ether. It's those films that I'd like to showcase here. The films that are off the beaten path of mainstream cinema, those early works by a particular director, break out films for our favourite actors, the odd and the unusual, the intriguing and quirky and the films that passed us by for a good reason. ;)

Personally, I've become very intrigued by the possibility of exploring cinema in more depth, making connections between an actor or a director's past and the work that they're doing now. A lot of this has come as a result of my running of a movie review group on the Newsarama Forum. I've found so far that the selections for that group have been films that I likely wouldn't have seen otherwise. I'd like to use this blog to take that a step further and go and discover those types for myself. In the process, I'd like to examine and showcase them here so that other people can learn of and discuss these forgotten gems for themself.

I got in to blogging around 6 months ago when I set up The SG-B, a blog I've been using for discussion of my journey through watching all 200-odd episodes of StarGate SG-1. I've become a bit frustrated by it as it's not really opened up the opportunity to examine and analyse the episodes that I hoped it would. Because of this I've let the quality and quanitity of posts drop. I hope that this will allow me to take the quality of my blogging to the next level.

I've got a few ideas of films that I'd like to feature in this blog initially and I'm sure I'll come up with some rules for the types of film that are eligible for being featured in the coming months.

No comments: